Welcome to The Saw’s Butcher Shop! It’s Ya Girl, The Saw, and I’m here to talk about the new single, “We Eat Our Young,” from the Death/Grind heroes, Cattle Decapitation. The song is the leading single from the band’s upcoming full-length album, Terrasite, due to be released on May 12, 2023 (Metal Blade). The question is, how do you follow 2019’s incredible, Death Atlas? Cattle Decapitation answer that with a new narrative – a story that begins with the ruins left after Death Atlas.
Your Master Butcher reviewed Death Atlas when it dropped. I’ve been a big fan of Cattle Decapitation for a long time, and that record has been on repeat for me since it’s release. I finally got to see them live on The Great Heathen Tour with Amon Amarth, Carcass, and Obituary. And, I’ll get to see them again, later in the Spring, when they come back to Charlotte, NC with Dark Funeral. When they came through back in November of 2022, they played a new song in their set – “We Eat Our Young” – and I knew then that Cattle Decapitation’s future would be brutal!
So, the question is: How do you follow such a brilliant album as Death Atlas? Cattle Decapitation answer that question with an interesting narrative:
- Josh Elmore (guitar) said that, “After a record like Death Atlas, you have to make a turn. Everything about that album… was a final statement. The only way forward is a rebirth.”
- The band’s statement on the new album is: “…Death Atlas left the world blackened and lifeless…or so we thought. It turns out that the carbon-encrusted bodies that adorned the album’s layout and music video were actually more of a cocoon-like stage for something much more vicious to come – Humanity Part 2: The Terrasite.”
- “Having endured the torturous existence of being a homosapien, they have now re-emerged into a new world… Re-birthed as a novel variant of human disease, now adapted to the hellish landscape their former lives helped create in order to continue to finish the utter ravaging of its home planet, earth.”
“We Eat Our Young,” the leading single, is a horrific banger! From the start, the song kicks you in the teeth with a vicious tempo you’ve come to expect from Cattle Decapitation. It’s a brutal commentary, with a crushing breakdown that snaps necks. The track pounds its way into an atmospheric break before, finally, crushing you into dust with the closing chorus. What an awesome song!
- “Homo Sapiens have made it perfectly clear… we can’t control ourselves.”
- “Is this not a cesspool, our toilet earth that we’ve created for our progenies?”
- “And in this landfill where we lay down our births, A future rife with variants of disease.”
- “Ah! The fleshly architects! Bold in design but fucking out of its mind.”
- “With self-indulgence and self-worship…”
- “We’ve upped the ante as the most invasive species of life.”
- “That ever shat on this earth.”
- “That learned to shit in this hearth, that ever bore living birth.”
- “That taught its offspring to drive its own hearse.”
- “Straight into the dirt.”
- “Brought up to be so inconsiderate.”
- “Living in delight of belligerence.”
- “Through example they’re taught indifference.”
- “Pieces of shit, point blank deliberate.”
- “Full of contempt, rife with disinterest.”
- “Legitimately fucking ignorant.”
Cattle Decapitation have picked-up where they left-off with “We Eat Our Young!” Ya Girl is excited for the release of Terrasite, the band’s ninth studio album, on May 12, 2023! This is an incredible band, with brilliant story-telling, both lyrically and musically. A real ass-whoopin’!